Monday, May 14, 2012

Homemade Fried Pickles



First real post! Woo!
Ok so my boyfriend has a borderline obsession with Bionic Burger fried pickles. They are pretty good, but they cost $3.50 for Five little dill pickles, and they are pretty hard to eat. So I set about looking for a recipe to try, and here’s what I found. Now I didn’t take pictures at the time because I made them before I started the blog :( But I promise to give good directions.

Ingredients
Dry mix

  • ·         2 cups flour
  • ·         1 teaspoon salt
  • ·         1 teaspoon pepper
  • ·         1 table spoon garlic salt
Liquid mix

  • ·         1 egg
  • ·         1 cup milk
  • ·         ½ cup Worchester sauce
  • ·         1 teaspoon hot sauce
  • ·         1 teaspoon salt
  • ·         1 teaspoon pepper
I used 4 midsized dill pickles for this.

So all you have to do is mix your dry ingredients in a shallow pan. I used a plate this time, but to be honest a cake pan might have worked a little better (I spilled a lot). Then mix your wet ingredients with a whisk.

I used a deep fryer because my boyfriend’s mother has one (which was pretty great), but using peanut oil in a large deep pan will work just as well! If you use the stove method just make sure you’ve got deep enough sides that it won’t splatter out.

Cut your pickles into thin circles, about 1/8 of an inch thick. Dip the pickle into the flour mix, then into the egg mix, then back into the flour mix and add to your fryer. I did a batch this way and they were good but I wanted a little more breading so I doubled it- flour, egg, flour, egg, flour, then into the fryer. Personally I liked that a lot better, but try it both ways, see what works for you!

This was my first time attempting to fry anything and I learned the hard way that oil can deceive you on cooking times. Make sure to leave the pickles in about 30 seconds to a minute after they look done or you’ll end up with gooey dough.

Good luck and let me know how it goes for you! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment